Course DescriptionThe goal of this course is to equip teachers with essential teaching methods and strategies needed to connect effectively with students of all cultural backgrounds.
Classrooms are diverse; yet not all teaching practices reflect the cultural backgrounds represented in today’s classrooms. This course is designed for elementary and middle school teachers who seek to dig deeper into their own teaching practices and explore strategies and initiatives for incorporating students’ cultural backgrounds and experiences into the curriculum.
Objectives of this course:
· Explore the foundations of culturally responsive teaching
· Examine the role that relationship-building, curriculum planning and educator mindsets play in creating a culturally responsive environment
· Apply strategies to reflect a more culturally responsive approach to teaching
· Reflect on personal beliefs to uncover implicit cultural biases
· Develop a plan for addressing blind-spots and biases