This course is scheduled to meet in person socially distanced in University Hall located at the Stafford campus.
In partnership with the Society of Human Resource Management, this course will be offered as a 2 day course in person, socially distanced and online live.
Sharpen your HR skills to face today’s HR issues.
Human Resource issues impact every company in some way. That’s why it’s important to understand the fundamental issues surrounding HR today.
SHRM, the leading global HR professional organization, has developed the SHRM Essentials of Human Resources course, which teaches the HR knowledge, skills and competencies required for overall business success. Whether you are new to HR, or it’s one of the many roles you fulfill at your company, the University of Mary Washington’s course covers the key HR topics you need to know.
Small investment in quality training, big payback
Backed by SHRM’s track record of providing quality HR training, the SHRM Essentials of Human Resources course covers the topics you need to meet key HR challenges that are relevant to you and your company. In less than 20 hours of training time, you can cover the issues you need to reduce potentially costly lawsuits.
Developed by leading HR experts, HR practitioners, and legal counsel, the SHRM Essentials of Human Resources course covers introductory HR topics in a condensed, easy-to-understand format. The straightforward format ensures that HR concepts can be mastered and applied to real-life situations.
Along with classroom interaction with peers and the instructor, case study exercises threaded throughout the program provide opportunities to practice applying newly acquired HR skills during training prior to using them on the job.
Build a solid foundation in Human Resources skills.
By covering a breadth of practical HR topics, the SHRM Essentials of Human Resources course provides the knowledge to perform daily tasks. Through this course, you will also:
- Review key pieces of federal legislation on sexual harassment, age discrimination, and the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA).
- Gain insights into employee recruitment and selection while avoiding legal pitfalls.
- Enhance your skills related to total compensation systems, pay increases and incentives, and employee benefits.
- Increase your knowledge of employee orientation, onboarding, professional development, and training.
Learner OutcomesAfter completion of the SHRM Essentials course you will:
- Gain a better understanding of Human Resources issues facing organizations today
- Expand awareness of HR behavioral competencies
- Gain practical expertise to increase job skills
- Increase on-the-job confidence
SHRM Essentials is ideal for those who are:
- New to Human Resources
- Small business owners
- Managers and professionals with HR responsibilities